This week has been one of those where you think the next day is always Friday but it was really like Tuesday and all you can do is pray for yourself and hope that you make it out alive. Update: tomorrow is actually friday but I am barely alive.
11 internship hours, 10 studying hours, 4 lectures, and a ton of unfinished homework later I have put myself in a stress coma curable only by Ibuprofen and Girls. But wait, it’s not over. The main source of my panic is this huge business midterm that’s, wait for it, tonight. After my classes. And is 3 hours long.
This week has been enlightening for me in the differences between college and high school (more to come on this in the future), stress and relaxation, and the chaos of balancing three million things at once.
Here are the top 5 things I learned this week & now never want to learn again because I swear, anymore educational experiences and my head will pop off my body.
- It’s okay to eat three meals in the span of an hour and then eat Cava too. If it makes you happy and doesn’t put you in a permanent food coma then embrace your ability to store food inside you and take advantage. At least I ate like a king yesterday. Makes the rest of my study-filled night seem less tragic.
- Don’t skip a class if it’s just going to stress you out to the point that you read all the lecture slides while you’re skipping and you can’t even enjoy the comfort of your bed. Believe me. I’m currently living this. I mean I’m sick and sitting at my desk studying and writing this; I could’ve just been sick sitting in a lecture hall learning about consumer preferences and game theory (these are econ topics for all you uncultured swine out there). I just want to watch TV in peace but instead I have the mental picture of my next exam being in gibberish. Cue me pouring over a textbook for the next hour.
- Healthy food & stress stomach are not even close to being friends. Just give your body what it needs: pizza, candy, french fries. I haven’t indulged yet but it’s coming. I can’t take the tofu and grilled chicken lifestyle this week. Pass the pasta, please. I just need to feel a little joy and thrill.
- I am prone to charley horses and they are my mortal enemy now. I don’t know what causes them but I have been downing water like it’s holy and eating too many bananas so don’t give me that dehydration potassium shit. I just want the truth.
- It is really nice to have a really nice boss. Yesterday, because my week wasn’t hellish enough, I forgot my dorm key in DC and had no way into my room/no idea how I was going to make it a week without my key. Answer: I would’ve had to pay $70 and get my locks changed. That would’ve been horrible and I would’ve gone hungry because that’s like all my birthday money (okay fine, not actually. I’m just a little bit of a drama queen & I like having flair). Anyway, my Mother Theresa of a mentor drove my key to me and saved my entire life basically. So thank you, Marissa. You are officially in my Best People Ever book next to my parents and Amy Schumer.
So now unfortunately, my time is up and I must return to the world of responsibility, body aches, and frustration. Wish me luck. I’m gonna need it.
Stuck in my head: Seventeen // Alessia Cara
Snap it: 14th street, DC
Mantra of this week: Do it because you have no choice and you are not lame. Don’t feel sorry for yourself. You have a great life and lots of opportunities to succeed. Amen.
Disclaimer: I really am not horribly stressed. I am just normally 1% stressed and now I am about a 70-80% stressed. But not 100%. I’m not great at math, but that means it could be a hell of a lot worse than it is right now.